Patient partners are valuable members of health care research teams whose lived experiences and personal health care journeys bring important perspectives to the table. The term patient is inclusive and refers not only to patients seeking health care, but also to caregivers, families and communities.
Working with staff, our Patient Advisory Council (PAC) provides advice and guidance on the work of NL SUPPORT and Quality of Care NL in the determination of patient-oriented research priorities, the engagement of patients in research projects, and planned public outreach activities.
In addition to ensuring that the patient perspective is considered in all areas of our work, members of the PAC:
- Participate in public engagement and outreach activities
- Play an active role on health research teams
- Assist with funding applications and advise on funding priorities
- Network nationally to promote patient engagement across Canada and internationally
- Participate in national and local conferences on Patient-Oriented Research
- Have numerous learning opportunities related to health care (i.e. webinars, courses, conferences, workshops)